Friday, April 16, 2010

A Flea Manifestation...Er, Infestation

This is a story of how you do bring about what you think about. And how Aromatherapy can help the results.

First, a little background: my husband and I just moved into a duplex. When we first toured it, we saw that the previous tenants had a cat. This set my husband off into a tizzy - he was convinced from the first that the cat had fleas and that we would be plagued by unwanted insect housemates from the moment we moved in. I assured him that the landlord had assured me that he would steam clean the carpets before we moved in, and that all would be well.

Except, all has not been well. At least, not for the hubby. Each night since the first night he has woken up with multiple bites on his lower ankles and legs. He looks like he has been eaten alive from knee to ankle, covered with red bumps. At first, I kept telling him that it must be unrelated to the house, because how could I sleep next to him and live with him and NOT be affected by even a single bite? (That didn't go over too well).

Then, I did some research online and learned that fleas DO prefer certain people to others...except that they should prefer the pregnant person, the one with lots and lots of extra blood coursing through her veins. So, I guess it IS possible that they just find my hubby more yummy than me, but VERY improbable. My husband is like Jack Sprat from the nursery rhyme, who could eat no fat (and whose wife could eat no lean). He has no meat on him AT ALL.

Therefore, I conclude that since I am (on paper) a more attractive candidate for a flea, and yet I'm untouched, that he has manifested his own personal flea infestation by concentrating his energy towards it. Talk about law of attraction working like crazy.

Well, here's where the Aromatherapy comes in: I can't change his belief systems or the way he thinks, but I *CAN* help prevent him getting flea bites. I made him an ointment consisting of 25 drops of Tea Tree essential oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) and 10 drops of Niaouli (Melaleuca quinquenervia, or also MQV), and 1 ounce of Castor Oil. Castor oil is NOT my first choice of carrier oil, by any means, but it was all I had in the house. It is EXTREMELY sticky, thick, and unpleasant to sleep in. I would have much preferred to use Grapeseed oil, but beggars can't be choosers.

Each night I've applied it from his ankles up past his shins, and for 6 days now, no flea bites the next morning. I've also made an anti-flea carpet powder by combining 8 ounces of Arm & Hammer baking soda and 45 drops of Tea Tree essential oil. I shake it around in a baggy until it's good and mixed, then sprinkle it on the carpet. Then, I wait 30 minutes and vacuum it up - the house smells medicinal and clean and I bet the fleas are really unhappy (they hate Tea Tree oil).

Le voila! The best result would have been for him to have released his expectations of fleas, but failing that, the Aromatherapy worked, too, in the end. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment