Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Where Did My Feet Go?

The question of "Where's My Belly?" has been definitively answered. If I went to the movies and sat in the back row, my belly would be in the front row. Now the question is, "Where are my feet?" 'Cause truly, I can't see them anymore when I look down.

Pregnancy has been good to me thus far. My skin is glowing and radiant like it was back in high school, minus the pimples. I haven't thrown up a single day, and my energy level is still pretty good (well, it's only 24 weeks, so we will see how long this lasts). The baby is healthy and behaving like a human octopus, kicking me in every possible place I can think of and amusing the heck out of my husband (who likes the sight of my tummy bouncing around from the inside).

The only issues I seem to have are a) trouble sleeping and b) these GOD-AWFUL leg cramps. Several nights now I have woken up with painful charley horses in the back of my calves, and all I can do is hold on for dear life and pray that it releases. I've read up on these leg cramps (the Internet is awesome), and they suggest a few remedies...one that really cracked me up was, "Stand on a cold floor or surface." Are you kidding? I can't even get out of bed during the cramp or suffer my husband to touch me during a cramp, let alone limp over to a cold floor/surface and stand a while.

The sites also give conflicting messages. BabyCenter.com says it's a lack of magnesium (this is what we have also learned during Herbalist training). My doctor says it's a lack of potassium. And still other web sites say it's a lack of calcium, though the more I read, the less support there seems to be for the lack-of-calcium theory.

Either way, I have started making changes. I started rotating my ankles while sitting, stretching my calves more frequently, and to test out the potassium theory, eating 2 bananas a day (sucks for me that I am one of those banana-haters in the world, their mushy texture just repulses me). I'll also start walking for 30 minutes each day (now that the move is done!), and keep my fingers crossed that I don't wake up to more unholy pain in the middle of the night. And you know, I think I am overdue for another Pregnancy Massage. Luckily, I know a GREAT place to get one. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment