Saturday, March 27, 2010

Of Stroopwafel and Cellular Memory

This week, I experienced my first deep tissue massage with the amazing Bettina Roether. As I mentioned in my blog about my massage with Chelsea, I have some “preeettyyy gnaarrrly” knots in my upper back and shoulders, which cry out for relief. Those areas certainly found some release with the assistance of Bettina's strong and skillful hands. The massage was both powerfully therapeutic and potently relaxing. Bettina's ability to identify and articulate what was happening with my muscles really impressed me as well. She told me how building some more muscle tone and strength in my body could cushion and buffer my joints, which I never knew. Hopefully, my yoga practice as well as my jazzercise class with Pavia client Mckenzie Ector will take care of that!

Bettina also commented on the fact that my left shoulder was actually more contracted than my right, which surprised me because I feel the most tightness and discomfort on my right side. As she worked deeply into the back of my left shoulder, gently and firmly coaxing the muscle fibers to expand out toward my left arm, I breathed deeply to assist my body in releasing. At that time, a very pleasant impression started to bubble up into my consciousness. As I let it take form, I realized that it was a memory of my trip to visit one of my very best friends in Amsterdam in April of 2007. I saw gentle sunlight falling on the charming 16th century row houses and cobble stone streets. I had the warm, delicious sensation of enjoying one of many stroopwafel cookies that I consumed on that journey as well.

Perhaps I was just having a nice memory as I entered a deeper state of relaxation. However, I have often wondered what the connection of such memories could be to certain movement in my body. Especially during yoga sessions with one of my former teachers in New York, I would have very sweet and enjoyable memories arise quite regularly. I particularly remember a very vivid recollection coming back during one class. It was as if I had been transported to the beautiful back yard of my grandparents' home in Richmond, Virginia. So much feeling came with that impression. I felt the pleasure of the sunlight, smelled the pungent, woody scent of the boxwoods, and remembered the feeling of being blissfully alone in a secret and magical place.

According to Wikipedia and other sources on the web, the notion of Cellular Memory takes life only in anecdotes and fiction. Apparently, it has never been scientifically tested or proven. Well, then, it hasn't been disproved either. Many psychologists recognize that traumas can be stored in the body, so why not other memories and experiences? Most energy workers that I know, such as Theresa Hatcher and Brian Rainie, experience Cellular Memory as an absolutely valid and real element of their practice. I don't know just what holds the answer to the mystery of these bright, vivid, and loving memories arising during body work for me—but I am so grateful for them nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment