Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Where's My Belly?

14.5 weeks pregnant today. I can't wait to have a big belly, because right now I am just walking around looking like I had a big lunch. "No, I didn't just overeat today. I'm actually pregnant..." Already busting out of my normal clothes, but still doing the backstroke in maternity clothes, so the wardrobe is in a bit of purgatory as well. Each week I run out of clothes that fit by Wednesday, and have to start over with Monday's outfit on Thursday.

I *am* very excited that I can finally have a Juno Motherhood Massage at Pavia, now that I am safely in my second trimester. Yup, treating myself to that little slice of heaven this coming Friday with Barbara, our certified Pre-Natal Therapist. We do pre-natal massage using the side-lying method at Pavia, where you clutch a pregnancy pillow and lie comfortably on your side. Many professionals, midwives, and massage therapists consider this to be the safest position for pregnant women.

We do it this way because those one-size-fits-all tables with the hole cutouts in the middle are very sub-optimal for pregnancy massage. Why? Because one size does NOT fit all. If your abdomen is too large for the cutout, it'll apply pressure to your stomach and baby. If the hole cutout is too large, it can allow your abdomen to dangle, which can cause uncomfortable stretching of the uterine ligaments. Bottom line: listen to the experts and never receive a massage lying face down or face up while pregnant.

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS Mare! Such wonderful news! I hadn't seen you on my last few visits and I had a fleeting thought this last visit and wondered if you were pregnant! Congrats again to you and your hubby!
    ~Barb Horiuchi

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...Just wait...the belly WILL arrive...and then never quite leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Barb! Wow, you are a little psychic or intuitive, aren't you? How did you pick that up? Anyway, the belly is here...as I just blogged...and I am so excited!!

    ReplyDelete