Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Holistic Medicine Works: After All, I'm Pregnant

For several years now, my husband and I have desperately wanted to have a child. After 4 years of "working on it," we went to see doctors who told us that our sperm count was low, that my ovulation was irregular ("your ovaries are a little sad and inactive-looking"), and that without intervention, our chances of getting pregnant naturally were less than 2%. We were asked to start the process of assisted fertility by me first getting an HSG (hysterosalpingogram), wherein they inject dye into my uterus to test for fibroids and obstructions of the fallopian tubes. When I heard that I had to take antibiotics for 3 to 9 days prior to this (to prevent infection from the dye), I balked and decided not to go the assisted route. My husband, being a devout Roman Catholic, also had serious issues of his own, as assisted fertility (especially IVF) ran contra to his deeply held beliefs.

So, this past June, I decided to see an ND, Dr. Connie Hernandez, of Palo Alto. She had me take a full blood panel, whereupon she gave me the advice that a) my Vitamin D levels were "out-of-sight" low, and b) that we can use herbs and natural supplements to greatly strengthen the communication between my brain and my ovaries (to get myself to ovulate). I started taking 5000 IUs of vitamin D daily, and a regimen of herbs and pills that ranged from inoffensive to downright nasty (especially the maca root - that was vile). Then, in October, I started seeing Dr. Kim Millman, MD/PhD, who supplemented my regimen from Dr. Connie with additional aids like calcium lactate (to normalize my thyroid). Dr. Kim also theorized that a large scar on my right leg was impeding a few of the fertility meridians that women have, and helped me by using laser therapy and other natural oils to re-activate those meridians.

And voila, by early November, I was pregnant! For me, who thought I could not have children naturally and was looking down the road of adoption, this was a true miracle. I know in my heart that it was seeing the two holistic physicians that made a difference for me...why else would it be 4 years with no results, and then 5 months after seeing them, poof, I'm pregnant? In any case, I am truly ecstatic, overjoyed, and ready to proclaim to the world that natural medicine can work. What can it hurt, anyway? If you've been trying for a while to get pregnant, and traditional methods aren't working for you, I would suggest taking a look at alternatives from the holistic world. In the meantime, I'm happy happy happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment