Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pregnancy Brain...and How to Make Toners

Wow, it's true that you lose your mind when you're pregnant. Now I know why my mother is so forgetful...she had three kids. Two months ago in late December, I left my apartment without my keys. So I could neither get back into the apartment, nor get into my car. It was wintery cold and I had nowhere to go - standing outside with nothing but a laptop while pregnant is not what I consider responsible behavior. I went to the apartment manager's office, but their place was completely cleaned out. My poor husband had to drive 35 miles home from work to let me back in.

Then, this past weekend, I drove up to Sacramento to see my new baby niece, Madeleine. Well, given that I am still pregnant, and the baby is still sucking out my brains, I forgot my lovely Eminence toner (I love their Stone Crop Hydrating Mist), a centerpiece of my skin care regime. Ah duh duh duh duh duh.

Good news is, you can easily make your own toners at home in a pinch. Sometimes I even do this on purpose just to switch things up. All you need are the following:

  • A glass bottle (preferably cobalt or amber, not clear) - 4oz
  • An atomizer (a spray top, basically)
  • 2 oz of distilled water
  • 2 oz of witch hazel extract (I would not buy the drugstore kind though, those are more alcohol than witch hazel)
  • 45-60 drops of your favorite essential oils (ones that are good for skin)
So, here is what went into my makeshift toner:
  • 20 drops of Geranium (great for hormone balancing, which I am definitely in need of at this point)
  • 20 drops of Ylang ylang (great for uplifting the mood, again something which a pregnant woman sometimes needs)
  • 20 drops of Rose (very expensive, but great for overall feminine balancing)
  • I added the 2 ounces of distilled water and 2 ounces of witch hazel extract (the latter I bought from an organic bulk herbs and spices company, and it is 14% alcohol and 86% Witch Hazel Extract)
  • Shook it up, and started spraying! Yum yum yum. Very nice, lovely floral notes. And my skin looks soft and glowing.
If you have favorite recipes for homemade toners and mists, please share them with us here!

No comments:

Post a Comment